Sunday, April 5, 2009

From Ellenbrook, WA

Richard has been on his mission for just over a year now. It seems He was transferred eight weeks ago to Ellenbrook, WA, a community in the Swan valley about 20 miles northeast of Perth. Richard has said that Ellenbrook is a lot like Stepford in that everything s perfect in Ellenbrook. What he means by that is that Ellenbrook is a fairly new planned community where the streets are clean, the homes well kept, and there are parks and water features at every turn.

His first companion in the area was Elder Bailey, one of Richard's companions while in the MTC, until two weeks ago when Elder Bailey was transferred to another area and Elder Ulu arrived. Ulu is from Samoa and, as with Elder Bailey, Richard seems to be thriving along side of a companion he enjoys and gets along with.

Here are a couple of excerpts from Richard's recent letters - these are classic Richard!

March 23rd: We had an interesting time last week altogether; Tuesday, I was reaching in my pocket for the garage opener (We really have a garage, like a proper house) while I was riding the bike... We were really close to the flat, but for some reason, I decided that while my left hand was occupied, I would slam on the front wheel brake. It was a very bad idea, and I wasn't even wearing a helmet. The brains are all over the road now.... Nah, my head wasn't even hurt. So I catapulted myself over the handlebars, ground myself onto the asphalt, and bled to death. No, I didn't. I only tenderised my left palm and my right elbow, as in stripped the flesh right off. Not to the bone, mind you, not badly, but the wound on my hand is pretty deep. Well, was. It's healing now quite nicely, and only a day or so ago, the infection stopped. That one isn't a joke. You should have seen how red it was around the wound. At least I don't need the bandages anymore, but whatever.

March 30th: Elder Ulu and I were walking past the shops, and we thought we'd use the very last of our money to buy some cordial, since Ellenbrook water is absolutely horrible tasting... It must be the relatively new pipes or something, I don't know. Anyway, we go into the shops, and we see one of the Members, Sister Lawrence, and her kids. Said hi, the formalities and such, and she asked if we were all good and everything. We said yes, because that's what we always say no matter what, and moved on. As we're about to pay, Luke (the oldest son) comes up to us with $20 and offers to buy that much worth of stuff for us, on behalf of his family. I was stunned, and we accepted the offer. It's very rude to a lot of people around here if you don't accept offers like that. So we did, with much thanks. We were planning to pay for the stuff we were originally getting ourselves, but as we went to pay for that stuff, a Member from Warwick Stake who neither of us knew came to us and paid for that stuff, too.

1 comment:

john f. said...

Sorry to bear bad news but I thought you would be interested to see what some of the missionaries in your son's mission are up to and that is being posted on the internet.

http://footbullet.net/2009/09/09/mormons-devour-100-patty-burger/

also

http://footbullet.net/2009/09/14/mormon-elder-punished-for-buying-300-burger/

I do not know whether your son knows these missionaries. I am interested in contacting President Maurer to alert him about this as he might think that the person who is running this blog is a serious investigator despite the actions he has taken to remove the problem missionaries from the picture. From the linked blog, it does not appear that the person who posted these entries is at all interested in learning about the Gospel but rather in making a mockery of Mormons and the missionary work that is being done in that area.

If you have an email address for President Maurer, I would be grateful. I am in London, England and therefore the time difference makes it very difficult for me to call the telephone number for the mission office that I have found on the mission alumni website.